Tuesday, December 7, 2010

mommy and me bee bloggin now

Many nights on my long drive home my mother and I have talked and we have pondered.  What’s next for us?  This year I became a homeowner and a wife.  I also celebrated 30th Birthday of my husband Chris (I’s married now J), the 6th (Wowsers!!!) birthday of my daughter Jalayla and the 1st birthday of our little Ori Pei Stella. While each of these moments were capital A – mazing they also brought about the realization that I was indeed growing up (guess having a child didn’t quite solidify it for me).  Through each of these moments my mom was right there to celebrate with me only one thing had changed.  When the music stopped and the last cupcake was eaten I didn’t assume my frequent position in the passenger seat of my moms Honda Accord nor did Jalayla take a seat in her big girl booster seat (yeah that’s right safety first – she’s still rollin in the booster). My mom and I still went home but not to the same place.  Granted we live approximately 20 minutes away from each other but for most of my life and all of my daughter’s life home was the same place. For many years I sat in my moms room sharing stories, shedding tears, borrowed her stuff and insisted on using her bathroom each day rather than my own just so I had an excuse to be around her.  I found her toilet to be so much more comfortable and mine and her lighting superb.  Jalayla also enjoyed baths in Nana’s tub much more than those in her own.  Did my mother drive me crazy?  Heck yeah! All of the time!  In fact I was moving out at least once or twice a month BUT she also drove me to Rite Aid (then Thrifty) for rainbow sherbet ice cream, doctors appointments when I was sick (or pretending to be), track practice (who cared if I was the only sista who wasn’t sprinting), to the hospital to see my brother when he was sick with cancer and he and I were both too little to understand, to Nordys to get my first pair of high heels, the hospital for the birth of her first grandbaby and then home, my high school, college and graduate graduations, the photo place for my Jalayla’s first photos (just in case the curly curls needed a touch up), countless places for the wedding and the list goes on...Just this weekend she drove me to the store to look at Christmas ornaments.  Where am I going with this you might ask?  My point is simple.  No matter what she’s always been there and always will be.  Whether she causes me to cry tears of joy or tears of frustration, whether I am 26 or 62, and although I have a new more broad set of shoulders (handsome shoulders) that I must learn to lean on she will forever be my mommy.

Tonight during our nightly convo we came up with the idea to share a blog.  We have been weaning ourselves from spending every day together to seeing each other a couple times a week unless Jalayla and I have germs.  We often talk about things that we would one day like to, places we’d love to see, things we’d like to try, and experiences we’d like to share.  While planning my wedding I dabbled in blogging and found it to be quite fun (I am most easily amused) and I enjoy reading them.  While I am not sure what exactly we’ll be blogging about I figure why not? My plan is to take the same approach I have been desperately trying to take when it comes to life “one day at a time” or in the case one post at a time. 

- HB

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to share memories between a mother and daughter. You guys are very lucky to have each other...there is nothing like the bond between a mother and a daughter. I love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krishann you reminded me of how I used to feel when I first moved to LA with Jamaal. My mom was only 20 minutes. I still cried every night cause I missed her and my sister so much. I also drove to Pasadena (home) everyday! Jamaal would constantly hold me and let me soak up his t-shirt with tears. I had to learn to depend on Jamaal and turn to him for support. It was hard to realize that I needed to "grow up." Keep blogging amiga!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girlfriend :) We are very blessed to have each other and you are right on - there is nothing quite like the bond between mother and daughter.

    p.s. we love you more!

    Maria I know you went through the same thing. I remember our talks in the classroom (years ago - gasp!!!) when you would come to pick up Khalil...but the great part is that you (and Jamaal :)) did get through it! Growing up can be tough but not accepting it can make life tougher (is that a word?).

    And oh how I do appreciate the honest, yet gentle :), feedback and words of wisdom from my mommies. Love you both. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete